The day that Bridger was born is still kind of a blurr to me. Everything went so fast and I think maybe I am just supressing it in my brain so I don't have to relive it again. But while I was strapped down to the table getting my C-Section/hernia/tube-tying finished up, everyone else was in the other room working on Bridger. Everything that was going on with him was completly out of our control. We had to put 100% trust and faith with the doctors that they were doing everything possible to help our little boy. Bridger was having a really hard time breathing and so they had to give him a lot of oxygen. With having all the oxygen going in him, it made it really difficult for him to eat. The doctors made the decision to put a feeding tube in him and to give him TPN. TPN is special nutrients that were fed to him through his feeding tube and IV. I would hope though that they were special. It cost $687.36 per day for it!! Now that is Special!
Anyway, Apparently our insurance has a waiver on TPN and they will not cover the cost of it. Through all the doctors and nurses that we have talked to, NOBODY has ever heard of an insurance company denying something like that. Bridger had to have this to stay alive. As of right now, I am working with the hospital to get letters written to the insurance company about the medical neccessity of it and Blake is working, well let me rephrase that, SCREAMING at the insurance company to change their policy. This is turning into a complete joke. The scary thing is that this will probably not be the last time we are fighting with the insurance company about not covering something. I don't want to have to approach every proceedure that they do on Bridger with caution and have to sit and wonder if insurance is going to pay. You want the very best done for your child to make them better, but the stupid insurance holds you back.
Now here is a little of my conservative opinion coming out. I read on the hospital website that if you do not have insurance then they will give you up to a 50% discount on your bill. I asked the hospital if they could possible discount our bill. They said "No. You have insurance". It is crazy to think that we would have probably paid less on this whole thing if we did not have insurance. Blake works really hard at a crappy job just so he can provide insurance for our family and this is the outcome of it! Sorry, I just had to throw in a little rant.







3 comments:
insurance is such a pain. when i had oliver, they told me to go to a different hospital than what my primary insurance covered because all of the rooms were full, but they assured me my insurance would cover us as if i had delivered at the original hospital.. but nope.. we ended up having to pay so much more than was expected. It is ridiculous. I hope you guys get things worked out.. and bridger is so cute!
Hey Abbey,
this is Carla from high school. I couldn't help but comment on this post. Insurance company's are a major pain in the butt. We work hard to have insurance and pay more than if we didn't work at all. it is ridiculous. Sorry you have to deal with them. Good Luck. Both your kids are adorable.
What a pain!! I'm so sorry, that is so ridiculous! Good luck, hope that it works out!
Post a Comment