CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

4.21.2011

Mama Bear...

Just recently we had the issue of our insurance company not covering the cost of Bridgers feeding tube (TPN) while he was in the NICU. It was a cost of $3200.00 that Blake and I could not cover. Well, momma bear came our roarin' and sent in a pretty darn good appeal letter if I may say, and we just got the approval for payment. The insurance company also changed the policy so TPN is now a covered benefit. Woo Hoo!

I have always been somewhat of a person that can get what I want if I fight hard enough, but this whole ordeal scared me. I really did not think that they would approve our claim. With everything going on with Bridger, I have learned that I have to be in complete control of all the decisions that deal with him. The doctors are probably getting sick of me and all my questions, but I just don't want things to get over looked. At this point I refuse to let any procedure get done until I have a written approval from the insurance company that it is covered. But I have learned that the doctors will just do stuff regardless of what the insurance does. We HAVE TO take charge and be in control to prevent anymore mishaps.

I guess at this point though, I am grateful that Blake works so hard at a pretty crappy job so he can provide health insurance for our family. I'm grateful for Shriner's Hospital and all those people out there that donate to this great cause. Not having the headache of medical bills and insurance claims has helped us to be able to just focus on Bridger and his needs. Things can get stressful, but then you have to stop and look at all the things to be gratful for!

1 comments:

Holly said...

Oh Abby, you are singing my song!! Can you believe that they won't cover some of the stuff without approval?? Some of Weston's were life or death. While insurance is great, it does have downfalls!! Good for you that you stood up for your family!!