We went to Shriner's Hospital today with the plan to have cast put on Bridger's feet to help him prepare his feet for his surgery in December. We left Shriner's Hospital with no cast and a new plan. It always seems like our visit never end the way we anticipate, good or bad.
It was kind of a bittersweet feeling today when the orthopedic surgeon said that she wanted to wait another 4 months before we look into the surgery again. I have been sanatizing the house, making arrangements at daycare and work and just mentally prepareing for Bridger to have casts and to keep him heathly while we prepare for his club foot surgery. But yet I have been having a really hard time emotionally getting ready for this change. So I was a little relieved to hear we have some more time.
So Bridger has feet that WANT to be club feet, so fixing them is not going to be easy. We all felt that to ensure the best possible outsome of the surgery, Bridger needs to be standing and using his feet before we do surgery. If we fix his feet and he doesn't use them, then they will not realise that they are feet and just go back to the little floppy things that Bridger likes to chew on. We are going to continue our physical therapy with Early Intervention, but also step it up a notch and use the PT at Shriner's also. Hopefully between the ywo of them we can getting Bridger to perfect his sitting skills and move on to standing. I think it will take more than 4 months for that result, but Bridger has also already exceeded more then I ever thought he would be doing at 9 months old.








3 comments:
abby you are amazing and so is bridger!
hang in there. If this gives you some hope, I read this book about this midwife who delivered babies at home, and she had this case where the baby had such severe club feet they almost were touching the kids inner legs. She actually tried to hide the feet from the moms view at delivery because it was so bad. Well, long story short, she ran into the parents years later and with surgeries, PT, etc. he was completely normal and playing soccor. The doctors had never expected he'd walk more than a limp let alone play sports and look totally normal. I know this is a setback for you, but I trust they know what they are doing and will get him fixed great when the time is right:) He's cuter than cute BTW. love ya. Christy
Good Luck Abby!! We are constantly praying for you!! Bridger has already come so far!! He is handsome and strong!!
Post a Comment